Hertford County, NC
Nucor, a Fortune 500 company, is a leading North American producer of steel and steel products with over 25,000 employees and locations across the US. When the company expanded their operations to build a steel recycling mill on a 990-acre site in North Carolina, they turned to ClearWater.
ClearWater Environmental worked with Nucor to prepare an Environmental Assessment for SEPA compliance. The EA was reviewed and a Finding of No Significant Impact (FONSI) was issued by the NC Department of Natural Resources.
Services for this project also included:
- A comprehensive wetland delineation
- Threatened and endangered species survey
- Public hearing, scoping, and public review
- Section 404 and Section 10 US Army Corps of Engineers Permitting, 401 Water Quality Certification and CAMA Major Permit
- A utility corridor, sewer line, new wastewater treatment facility and new port facility on the Chowan River.
The project also included design of a seven-acre wetland mitigation area with long term annual vegetation and groundwater well monitoring.
Most recently, ClearWater assisted Nucor in obtaining a CAMA major permit for new water intake on the Chowan River.